The Mages Guild

1 reply
Moon Sugar:
+14
The Mages Guild
Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Magicka

(I am going ahead and posting this because I'm pretty sure Kashya will kill me otherwise. More mage-y goodness is coming soon™.)

The Mages Guild was founded on the belief that magic and knowledge should be shared, rather than kept secret by the elite few. Receiving its charter from the Empire before its decline, the Mages Guild has spread across Tamriel and prides itself on being an organization focused on magical learning, research, and the betterment of all men and mer. Politically neutral, it provides magical services and knowledge to every community in which a chapter has been established, with knowledge shared freely between these chapters.

Interest in the Mages Guild is often for varied reasons. Some wish to learn a bit of magic to augment themselves. Others seek to become scholars or researchers to whom the pursuit of knowledge is a goal in and of itself. Regardless of reason, the Mages Guild accepts all applicants in good standing who have an honest desire to learn.

Mages Guild Ranks

To advance within the guild one must pass a trial to advance in rank. These trials are personal in nature, often tailored to the individual taking them. Anyone in good standing can become an Associate, but to advance further one must prove oneself. Ranks will be divided into standard and senior ranks, with the latter denoting more responsibility IC and OOC concerning the Mages Guild. Do not view ranks beyond the standard as progression so much as additional responsibility.

Standard Ranks

Associate – The first rank for those initially joining the guild who have yet to undergo trials or prefer to be loosely associated with it. Little is expected of this rank. They can make use of some guild services and receive limited training.

- We're close. But not that close, you know what I mean?

Apprentice – You have undergone initial trials and have been found to possess both talent and interest in the magical arts. Yours is the path of the student. Still with much to learn, you have nonetheless taken the first step toward mastery of magic. Full use of guild services and basic magical training is available to those of this rank. Receive complementary robes from the Guild!

- Fizzling spells is part of the learning process. The real trouble is in getting a spell wrong and not knowing why your hair is now the color of a particularly ripe cabbage.

Journeyman – No longer considered a mere apprentice, the Journeyman rank indicates that you have come into your own with magic. Those attaining this rank are recognized as being able to work independently without supervision. As the name implies, it is suggested for those of this rank to begin using magic in a practical sense in their life and to study and learn everything available to them. Part of the trial to becoming a Journeyman is the crafting of a personalized Mage Staff.

- Journey here. Journey there. My feet hurt. Why don't I have a spell for foot massages?

Evoker – Mages of this rank are acknowledged as fully proficient in at least one school of magic. It is the first senior rank within the guild structure and comes with privileges and responsibilities. Those attaining this rank are considered serious in their pursuit of both magical learning and dedication to the guild itself.

- I'm a fully fledged mage! And I have the commemorative pin to prove it. Now where did I put that thing...?

Senior Ranks

Magician – Those attaining proficiency in two or more schools of magic or mastery of one can be elevated to the rank of Magician. This is also the first rank that requires that the mage in question contribute meaningfully to the affairs of the guild, conducting independent research and taking it upon themselves to aid in instructing apprentices. This rank is for those who not only wish advancement, but responsibility.

- Now watch me pull a Daedra out of my hat! ...and they ran away screaming again. Great. I'm never going to become famous at this rate.

Warlock – Dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and magical learning, the rank of Warlock is bestowed only upon those who have accomplished something significant to advance the interests of both the magical arts and guild affairs. If writing a thesis paper on magic isn’t a daunting prospect, then this is perhaps a rank you might aspire to. Warlocks of the guild are considered senior members with authority and are expected to dedicate themselves to furthering the interests of the guild to the exclusion of other, personal matters.

- How did I get where I am today? Hard work, eyestrain, and discovering the benefit of assigning apprentices to do things for me.

Wizard – The highest rank traditionally achievable by those working in individual chapters, the rank of Wizard can only be bestowed by vote of the Council and Arch-Mage. It typically denotes an individual who has attained mastery over a few different schools of magic and has contributed deeply to the guild. It is not a rank bestowed lightly and is a position of respect.

- For the last time, my name isn't Harry. It's Henry. And I bloody well know I'm a wizard. Now, you owe me a new door.

Special Ranks

The following are specialized ranks not directly related within the path of advancement within the guild. As such, these are given based on certain attributes of your character or jobs you take on voluntarily, or are listed here for the purpose of clarification.

Healer – Mages focused on Restoration magic may attain the distinction of becoming a Healer, receiving specialized training in return for providing healing services (for a fee) to members of the local community. May also involve Alchemy. Healers with the Mages Guild are not necessarily affiliated with the Clinic. Unless otherwise specified do not assume any member of the Mages Guild is a doctor. No doctors were harmed in the making of this thread. Please seek help if you experience explosions, uncontrollable dancing, or have been transformed into a frog.

Magister – A mage of high rank placed in control of a chapter of the Mages Guild, a Magister administrates the chapter and ensures everything is functioning smoothly in addition to guiding the growth of both the chapter and its members.

Researcher – For those mages and scholars truly dedicated to research, this special rank can be given. Those who hold it are expected to spend significant time conducting what the name implies and are often to be found researching ancient ruins and other places or objects of interest.
"It's a hole!" "For?" "I don't know, in case we ever need a giant, gaping chasm for anything. ...why are you laughing?" "It's a plot hole. You don't even know how it was made." "...a wizard did it."
Posted Feb 27, 18 · OP
Moon Sugar
List
Undo
Moon Sugar:
+14
Mages Guild Roster
MAGISTER - Amelie Gwynathyr - (@Starlitmists)

WIZARD
N/A

WARLOCK
N/A

MAGICIAN
N/A

EVOKER
Lucia Aranea Hlaalu - (@nobleboivin)

JOURNEYMAN
Aminos Makoych - (@MoodyMayhem)
Dalea Bluebrook - (@Wildcat800)
Ciel Gulitte - (@Raccoonism)
Kiri Tazair - (@Superunatural01)

APPRENTICE
Captain Lola - (@Kaysaari)
K'y Anrual - (@Kisven)

ASSOCIATE
Nyraela Sventius - (@Crimsonwolf994)
Seiverin - (@Seiveren)
Alishine - (@Grazzbek)
Naomi Sloane - (@Beckify)

INACTIVE
Atticuss O'Sullivan - (@SonofMielikki)

Is your name missing from the roster?
Please notify @Starlitmists.
"It's a hole!" "For?" "I don't know, in case we ever need a giant, gaping chasm for anything. ...why are you laughing?" "It's a plot hole. You don't even know how it was made." "...a wizard did it."
Posted Feb 27, 18 · OP · Last edited Sep 19, 18
Moon Sugar
List
Undo
NoticeNotices